Friday, March 11, 2011

My Mom

Today is my mom's birthday and as a present to her, I'd like to tell her and you why I love and admire her so much.

1.  She's an amazing musician and she's instilled the love of music in me and thousands of others. 
Since I can remember, my mom taught piano lessons.  She tried to teach me but quickly realized it doesn't work to teach your own child, but she always made sure I had a good teacher and encouraged (in my younger years, I would have used the word "forced" here) me to practice.  I love and am so grateful that I can play the piano now and enjoy sitting down to the piano, I inherited from her, to play this or that.  I don't play nearly as well as she does (not even close actually) but I can play what I want to.  I don't know if she's kept track of the total number, but she's taught thousands of students over the years.  She usually had 60 students at a time and she always had a waiting list.  Many people are indebted to her for the skills she taught them.

She also had us sing together as a family and gave us so many opportunities to perform.  I remember wondering if people got tired of hearing from us, but I'm glad she didn't worry about that and just had us sing, sing, sing.  Now that I have my own family I realize how difficult it must have been for her to get the seven of us together to practice and to get us all to smile and have a good attitude.  I've attempted getting my children to perform together a couple of times and have given up pretty quickly.

Because of her musical talent, she was also asked to play for all of the musicals the Stake put on--which were done every other year.  This was a major time commitment so she would make a deal with the director that if she played her kids would get to be in the show.  I had so little acting talent, but I had the opportunity to be a part of those shows, and even have a very short solo once, because of her and it was always so much fun.  I do remember being an orphan child in one of the musicals, when I was really young, and they had to rat my hair and make me look all dirty (or they actually put dirt on me--I can't remember for sure) but I remember hating that.

People ask her to accompany them all of the time because she can play anything.  At our family reunions she even plays the old time songs without a single stitch of music!  Like I said, she's an amazing musician.

2.  She had seven children!
Seriously, how did she do it.  Even more unbelievable, she also agreed to have an Indian placement student join our family and she lived with us, during the school year, for seven years and then stayed for another year, after her senior year, to get her cosmetology degree.  So my mom was a mother to eight children for many years.  And with eight children she still helped with homework, taught piano, kept a clean house, always held a church calling, grew a garden, cooked meals, carted us all around, supported our sports and musical events and even did the PTA/Room Mom thing.  Incredible!  I have a tough time keeping up with my four children.

3.  She can sew just about anything, beautifully.
My mom made most of my clothes until I was in junior high and they were cool.  She also formed a 4-H club for me and my friends to teach us how to sew and cook (one more thing to add to the list of things she did with eight children).  She's made many lovely blankets and quilts in her lifetime and has given several away to help others.  My sister wanted her own style of prom dresses in high school, so she would draw a picture (basically design a dress) and my mom made them for her from her picture.  I remember hearing the sewing machine humming, outside my bedroom door, late into the evening as she made pajamas and clothing for all of us kids at Christmas time.  I've never felt as comfortable with sewing as her.  I actually get so worried about cutting out the pattern wrong that most of the time I don't even start.  In fact, she helped me pick out some material to make curtains for my bedroom, way before she left for the Netherlands, and I started sewing them but haven't finished them because I'm afraid I'm going to mess them up.  Sorry Mom!

4. She starts many projects and actually finishes them.
One thing I have definitely not been able to master is my mom's stick-to-itiveness. I have started so many different projects in my life that have never gotten finished. This does not happen with my mom. If she starts something, she finishes it and it's always done well. Me, my mom and my sister, Traci, went to England, Ireland and Scotland in 2004. We had a great time and took many pictures of the sights and our experiences there. Within a month after we got home, my mom had scrapbooked the entire trip. I've made a few digital scrapbooks, but haven't even attempted to do one of that trip because there are so many pictures to tackle and I still have video as well that I was going to put on my computer and edit that I haven't done. She has also made some incredible quilts--some that have taken so much time, but she doesn't give up on them. She works and works until they are finished and can be displayed for everyone to enjoy. The most remarkable thing is, it takes quite a long time to piece the quilts she makes, but then she also hand quilts them all which takes forever. But she doesn't give up on them. It's astonishing to me.  If I've needed to get a project done at my house, I've invited her to help mostly because I know she won't let me stop until it's finished.

5.  Wow! Can she cook!
My mom is a great cook!  I love to cook because of her and she's the one who taught me how.  I remember the great Sunday dinners she made every week.  They was always ready right after we got home from church, too, whether that was at 12:00, 2:00 or 4:00 p.m.  She would get up as early as she needed to to have everything prepared and ready beforehand.  She bottles fruit, makes homemade jam and puts up homemade pickles, which takes a lot of time, for us to enjoy throughout the year.  She bakes rolls, cakes, cinnamon rolls, pies, cookies and many other treats that are to die for.  The young adults in the Netherlands are getting a taste, literally, of the magic she can do with food as she cooks for them often.  I wonder if they trully know how lucky they are to have her there.

6.  She is committed to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and exhibits charity to her family, friends and neighbors.
My mom has served in so many different church callings in her life.  She's served in the Primary (Presidency, Chorister and probably pianist), YW's and RS (Presidency, Homemaking Leader and Teacher); in the Library; as a Gospel Doctrine teacher; Visiting Teacher and others that I'm sure I don't remember.  It's not important where you serve, but how, and I tell you what, she has put her all into every calling and has served the Lord with all her might, mind and strength.  But as she did this, I don't remember feeling like she neglected her family in any way.  We still came first.

She's also given of her time and talents to so many people through service.  She's taken food to people; she's watched physically disabled children so their mother could have a break; she's made and given many items to the humanitarian effort; before the mission, she played the organ in the temple, one morning a week, and then stayed and did an endowment session; and she's supported my father in his many busy and time consuming callings.  But the thing I admire the most about the spiritual side of my mom is the unconditional, pure love of Christ she shows others.  Some people are difficult to get along with, but she gives everyone (especially in our family) the benefit of the doubt and is patient and loving with them.  If I say something negative about someone, she will say something positive and help me look at them in a different light.  She's not perfect, and I can't say she doesn't ever say a bad thing about others, but her patience and love is amazing and it takes a great deal of hurt before she will think badly about a person.  I appreciate her example of this and I'm trying to be more like her, really I am.

She has a strong testimony of the gospel and is doing what her Heavenly Father has asked her to do by serving and sharing her testimony with His children in the Netherlands right now.  She and my dad are having such a great experience.  What a great example they are setting for me and my children.


So, Mom, since you're there and not here, I hope you'll accept this expression of my love and appreciation for you, as my birthday wish to you!  There are so many more things that make you wonderful.  Thanks for your great example and love for me.  I remember times in school when we were asked who our role model was and without hesitation I would write, my mom.  Most of the kids would put someone famous, but I always knew I wanted to be just like you.  You're the best!!!!   Happy, happy birthday!!  I hope you have a great day!

Love you!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment