Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A friend's request

A friend of mine suggested, on her blog, that she would like answers to some specific questions in her friends' facebook profiles and blog posts to help her know and understand them all better.  Since I don't do facebook, I thought I would answer a few of her questions here to give me something to blog about.

1.  If you have had "one of those days" what do you like to do to wind down?
     I think my favorite way to wind down is to sit in my chair in my bedroom and read (if I have a book I'm into at the moment) or to sit in that same chair and completely veg with the TV on.  This only works if my kids aren't around to interrupt either one.  If they are, I don't unwind I get more agitated by the interruptions and really want to hurt someone.  So most of the time I don't actually attempt to do either until I know there isn't a chance for interruptions.
2.  What are your favorite comfort foods?
      Believe it or not--Oatmeal.  It goes back to the times when we'd visit my Grandma Beckstrand when I was little.  She made oatmeal every morning and I loved it.  It wasn't something my mom made often because she didn't like it, but when I'd stay home from school because I wasn't feeling well, she would make it for me and it just seemed to make me feel better.  So oatmeal is definitely the first thing that comes to mind.
      I think mashed potatoes and gravy would have to be another one.  I love 'em!  They just say "Home cooking love" to me.  If I can find a restaurant, and they are few and far between, that serves good mashed potatoes and gravy, it becomes one of my favorites because my family aren't fans so I don't make them often at home.

3.  Name three meals that your family will always eat and what fruits and veggies will your kids consume.
     My kids are getting pickier as they get older and they do not like me to try anything new, but they will  eat chicken casseroles (swiss cheese chicken, poppy seed chicken, chicken enchilada casserole, and chicken broccoli divan--our favorites), enchiladas, and chicken, broccoli braid without a fuss.  Oh, and we all love German pancakes too.  When they are getting themselves something to eat, their favorites are quesadillas and grilled cheese sandwiches.  I guess that's more than three, sorry.
     As far as fruits and vegetables go, my kids like clementine oranges, grapes, strawberries (when I can afford to buy them), and they love watermelon, raspberries and peaches during the summer months.  The only raw vegetable they will eat is carrots.  They all also like heated up canned or frozen corn, peas and broccoli and of course corn on the cob in the summer.  (This is making me yearn for summer!)

4.  What is your idea of a night on the town?  By yourself? With friends? Hubby?  Where would you go?  What Restaurants do you like?
     My favorite thing to do is go out to eat because it means I don't have to decide what to make and even though I like to cook, someone else gets to cook for me for a change. Some of my favorite restaurants are Firehouse, Elements, Chili's, Texas Roadhouse, Taco Time (for a cheap date), and Costa Vida.  Mike and I used to love to go to movies, but it's getting harder and harder to find ones that are clean and entertaining anymore so we like to go to the temple and out to eat now.  I like to go to lunch with friends, but when I have a free evening I like to spend the time with Mike more than go with friends.  I would even prefer going with him alone than with another couple even though we don't talk much during our time out.  We're together and that's what counts.  I love plays, musicals, and musical programs and would love to go to those more and would if I had the time and/or the money to do so.  That will probably be something I do when my kids are grown and out of the house.  Mike likes plays and musicals but doesn't enjoy going to see choirs or orchestras so he'll join me for some and I'll go on my own to others.

5.  If you could have a fairy-god-mother right now, what would she do for you?
     She would make it possible for me to quit working so I could spend my days (when my kids are in school) helping people and being at the temple.  If I could have two wishes, it would be to be able to bake or cook all the tasty food and treats I wanted and eat as much as I could and not have to worry about the ill effects they have on my body.  I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted with no problem so maybe that's why it's extra hard now.

I've got to have some more time to think about the other questions before I answer them.  It's been fun spending some time thinking about these answers.  I think it's pretty normal to not want to share personal stuff about yourself and I definitely don't do it very often, but it's good to share our hearts with others to help them understand us--what makes us tick and act the way we do.  Thanks, Jeri Dawn, for pulling me out and helping me share.

No comments:

Post a Comment